Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Beautiful, Part Eight

What pleases God?

God is not interested in mere lip service, but true devotion backed up with actions and behavior. He doesn’t need anything from us—everything we have we got from Him—He already owns it all AND us. We can’t fool Him by pretending to love Him and yet doing whatever we wish, with no care whatsoever for what He said pleases Him. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. James 1:27

All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the Lord. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word. Isaiah 66:2

For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: "I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite. Isaiah 57:15 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17 For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6

Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. Isaiah 1:16-17

Then the Lord said, “Because this people draw near with their words and honor me with their lip service, but they remove their hearts far from me, and their reverence for me consists of tradition learned by rote, therefore behold, I will once again deal marvelously with this people... Isaiah 29:13-14 A voice says, "Cry out!" So I asked, "What am I to cry out?" "All humanity is grass, and all its loyalty is like the flowers of the field.” Isaiah 40:6 “You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: "'This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’” Matthew 15:7-9

“When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, "Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.” John 13:12-17

May we always remember the price of our freedom to our beloved Savior, and may "the cross" never become a phrase that we are so used to hearing that we are desensitized to what it actually entailed! Remember, Jesus had never done anything wrong EVER, and He came to earth to be born and live a perfect life on OUR behalf, or His sacrifice would have meant nothing. Only He could take that penalty for us. He could have put an end to the horror of it at any time, but love for His Father and for US held Him there.

And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh [sinful nature], God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him. Colossians 2:13-15 

Will He really return?

God is patient and long-suffering. But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. Psalm 86:15 He keeps His promises. All of the events that are written in the Word will happen, exactly as He said, on His own schedule. Those who are His will be spared from God's wrath, just as Noah and Lot were saved out of the world-wide flood and fire from heaven on Sodom and Gomorrah. The worst time of tribulation on the earth that has ever been or ever will be is coming. It’s not for the faithful, for those who are IN Jesus. We have been made white as snow, our sins washed away by the blood Jesus shed for us. We are clothed in His perfect righteousness.

...But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. Hebrews 9:26-28

For, "Yet a little while, and the coming One will come and will not delay; but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him." But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls. Hebrews 10:37-39

“Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.” Revelation 3:10-11

"Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." Isaiah 1:18 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:6-7

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. Isaiah 61:10

This is Part Eight of a series.  You may download the entire devotional in a "pretty" format here or in a basic, small file size format with highlighting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment